Still in the dark about how to submit to agents? Looking for enlightenment? One of the best ways to stay informed about the state of the industry, improve your craft, clear any confusion about how to submit is to follow blogs by your favorite agents.
Here’s a list to make your search easier:
I’m sure I’ve missed a few, so if you notice any omissions, feel free to leave me a comment and I’ll add it to the list.
Queries That Worked for the Nelson Literary Agency:
- Original Query letter by Jana DeLeon
- Original Query letter by Jamie Ford
- Original Query letter by Sarah Rees Brennan
- Original Query letter by Hank Phillippi Ryan
- Original Query letter by Lisa Shearin
- Original Query letter by Shanna Swendson
- Original Query letter by Sherry Thomas
Pitch Workshop from Nelson Literary:
Want to know how to write outstanding pitch paragraphs for query letters?
- Pitch Workshop: An Introduction
- Pitch Workshop Part 1 – Young Adult
- Pitch Workshop Part 2 – Young Adult continued
- Pitch Workshop Part 3 – Young Adult continued
- Pitch Workshop Part 4 – Literary Fiction
- Pitch Workshop Part 5 – Literary Fiction continued
- Pitch Workshop Part 6 – Horror
- Pitch Workshop Part 7 – Romance
- Pitch Workshop Part 8 – Romance continued
- Pitch Workshop Part 9 – Romance continued
- Pitch Workshop Part 10 – Romantic Suspense
- Pitch Workshop Part 11 – Fantasy
Query Letter Breakdown by Paragraph:
- Introduction: explain why you are contacting that particular agent. Were you referred? Why are they the agent for this project?
- Manuscript pitch: what is your novel or nonfiction proposal?
- Credentials: for fiction, what is your writing background, stories sold, programs attended, mentors, awards, etc. For nonfiction, Why are you the person to write this book? What are your credentials?
- Conclusion: Thank the agent for taking the time to read your materials, etc.
How to Format Your Manuscript — powered by eHow.com
Thanks Lia, for the list. Its make the search for an agent a lot easier.
Thanks, Lia! This is a great list, and I'm sure it will be helpful to many. I know I've been looking for something like it, so thanks!
.-= Shevi´s last blog ..When is a writer ready to start submitting a manuscript? =-.
Wow! What a great list, Lia. Thanks for doing this.
Thanks, Lia! You're an inspiration.
Rachna, Shevi, Rilla, and Debbie,
I’m so glad you’re finding it helpful! Be sure to let me know here if you find any that I haven’t yet included!
This is a great list! Kudos to you for putting in all the work to come up with it!
.-= Heather´s last blog ..Spring Cleaning For Your Novel Contest =-.
Thanks for the list! That is so helpful! You are tops.
.-= Elizabeth Varadan´s last blog ..Not Quite the Last Thoughts on Spain, After all =-.
You're The Bomb Lia! THANK YOU!, THANK YOU!, THANK YOU!
Thanks for this. Between this and Greg's post @ The Happy Accident, I'm going to get this part of my blog reading down to a fine art.
p.s. LOVE your header!!!
Great job! Thanks for sharing. 🙂
.-= Sharon Mayhew´s last blog ..AMERICAN GIRL DOLL AUTHOR MARY CASANOVA DROPS BY TO CHAT…(and two lucky commenters will win signed copies of CHRISSA and CHRISSA STAND STRONG) =-.